[asterisk-users] Call queues on load-balanced asterisks

Pan B. Christensen pan at ibidium.no
Tue Jan 11 05:19:55 CST 2011

Hello Dhaval (and others),

As far as I can tell, realtime queue will not solve my problem. I can statically define the same queue with the same members on two machines as well. I was planning to use realtime anyway. The issue is the actual queueing of the incoming calls.

Let’s say I define the queue "IT-support" with members Local/100 and Local/101 on both machines. The first call comes in and is distributed by Kamailio to Asterisk A, and answered by 100. The next call comes in to Asterisk B, and is answered by 101. At this point, both members are busy. Call 3 now comes in and is sent to Asterisk A, where it waits for a free member. Call 4 comes in and is also sent to Asterisk A, as is Call 5. Then call 6 is sent to Asterisk B. At this point 100 finishes his call and becomes free. Which call is delivered to 100? As far as I can tell, that’s a 50/50 chance between call 3 and call 6. This is not correct behaviour! Call 6 should wait until calls 3, 4 and 5 (from the other server) have all been delivered.

In the example above: When call 3 comes in, Asterisk A may even try to deliver it to 101, who gets call waiting indication. He will now have two simultaneous calls from the same queue!

I have not found any way to share information about calls waiting in the queue, wait times, member states and so on between the two servers.

Unless you guys know of a way, I think I'm going to have to ask the customer to change their design to master-slave (with failover) instead of load-balanced.

With kind regards,
Pan