[asterisk-users] Weird phone behavior after recent CentOS 5 update

Myles Wakeham myles at techsol.org
Wed Jan 5 17:59:10 CST 2011

For some reason our Asterisk box is doing something really unusual following applying a routine update to CentOS 5 on Monday.

We have Asterisk 1.4.2 and its been working great for years.  But now when the phone system receives an incoming SIP call, its not providing any audible dial sound to any caller.  It is recognizing the incoming call, and after no answer for about 5 rings or so, it goes to voice mail.  But there is no audible 'ring' to the caller.  Just nothing - blank, empty silence.

Of course any automated answering system (ie. business phone menu, etc.) that we have works just fine.  Its just the lines that go directly to an internal phone that are no longer providing any audible ring which is sending a message to the caller that their call didn't go through.

Does anyone have any idea what might cause this?

Myles