[asterisk-users] Clarification on DAHDI Fax Detection

Thomas Rymes trymes at rymes.com
Wed Jan 5 00:51:06 CST 2011

On Jan 4, 2011, at 7:37 PM, Steve Underwood wrote:

> It is very normal for many people to chat and then start their FAX machines, especially domestic FAX users with a FAX machine attached to their home land line. If you don't care about those your proposal is OK, otherwise.....

Well, I was suggesting an OPTION to disable the detection after a specified period, so anyone who wishes to do as you describe could just leave the setting to indefinite if they wished. Having said that, I don't think that sort of behavior is particularly common anymore. More importantly, I would argue that practically all users doing that are, as you mention, using a phone connected to a fax machine, eliminating the usual needs for sending the call to the fax extension.

Either way, if defined as an option, users could choose how they wanted it to work.

> There is no excuse for false detection of FAX tone. It takes a very poor detector to mistake voice for FAX, unless the person is specifically trying to whistle the right tones (which some people are quite good at).

While that might be true, false detections are anything but unheard of, so being able to disable detection after the first few moments of a call might be useful.

Tom