[asterisk-users] Log and forward calls to cellphone?

Sebastian shop at open-t.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 19:22:42 UTC 2011

On 01/04/2011 01:55 PM, A J Stiles wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 Jan 2011, Gilles wrote:
>> Thanks Sebastian for the tip. The goal is to 1) have clients call the
>> usual landline number instead of asking them to try a cellphone in
>> case no one's home, 2) get Asterisk to handle the call, 3) have the
>> cellphone ring with the CID of the original caller instead of
>> Asterisk's.
>
> The problem with doing no. 3 is, if you are routing the call over the PSTN at
> any rate, your telephone company will  (silently)  *drop* the caller ID if
> the number you are presenting does not actually "belong" to you.  This is
> *good* most of the time, because it means you can trust other people's caller
> ID to be accurate  (and untrustworthy caller ID makes caller ID pointless).

I agree with your point. That is why routing the divert part of the call
through an (effectively) internal SIP extension - which is the case if
you call your laptop or Android phone through SIP as an internal
extension to your Asterisk server (through OpenVPN as well, optionally)
has the advantage that you can transmit/present whatever Caller ID you want.

Sebastian