[asterisk-users] VoIP PoE phones for restaurant

Andy Graybeal andy.graybeal at casanueva.com
Mon Jan 3 09:30:07 CST 2011

Greetings,
I mailed the list regarding an intercom system some months ago and we
came to the conclusion that I should purchase a Polycom 501 phone.

I'm now considering the purchase for this year, and I'm now wondering
between the Polycom 501 and the 320 for the intercom.

I don't need the spare ethernet on the phone because I would like to
have my voice network separate from my regular LAN.

Which one would be easier to use, the 501 or the 320?  I want PoE, were
these both made before PoE was standardized and do I need a special
cable?  Can I make this cable myself?

In the future we plan to have 7 phones in the house.  I'm considering
what kind of PoE switch I should purchase.

I have 3 PoE access points (for two separate LANs).

I've been considering th HP ProCurve 2610-24/12PWR Switch (J9086A) (
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/il/en/sm/WF06b/12883-12883-3445275-427605-427605-3751584-3658873.html
)

It's got 12 PoE ports, it's managed, and it looks like I can pick one up
for under $500.

Any help is appreciated.

-Andy