[asterisk-users] Two Asterisk machines for redundancy

Daniel Tryba daniel at tryba.nl
Mon Feb 28 06:59:01 CST 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 02:24:23AM -0800, bilal ghayyad wrote:
> 1) If I did modification on the configuration, how this will be
> applied to the other machine?

My solution was to create a rsync script to copy the configuration of
the primary server to the standby (every 15m).

> 2) I am going to use E1s, so what is the method to be able to let the
> calls go for other Asterisk machine if first one is down (due to
> maintenance or upgrade)? Is there a switch or something can help in
> this?

Yes, there are E1 switches. I use this one:
http://www.oriontelecom.com/pro_switch/e1_switch/e1_failover_switch.html
I disabled the automatic failover detection though, a script that is run
when the standby becomes active switches the circuits from A to B or the
otherway around.

An other way is to use an external E1 to SIP gateway. Cons are that they
are more expensive then Digium hardware and you still need more than 1
if you want to avoid this being a single point of failure. But they can
be more flexible in some setups (multiple active asterisk machines
connecting simulataniously)

--

   Daniel Tryba