[asterisk-users] asterisk security....again

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 05:37:25 CST 2011

On Monday 28 Feb 2011, Steven Howes wrote:
> 'asterisk security' is a misleading subject line. Guessing someone just
> scanned some IP addresses and made calls. You need what's called a
> 'firewall'.

Well, assuming you're on Linux then you've already *got* a firewall.  Just add
some iptables rules to admit only traffic from places it should be coming
from.  This is a separate subject in its own right.  There are various GUI
front ends available for configuring iptables, if you prefer.

> On 28 Feb 2011, at 10:33, Rizwan Hisham wrote:
> > My guess is that someone has been sniffing my server's sip traffic. In
> > that case what should i do to get rid of the sniffers?
>
> It's hard to sniff without being on a network. Most likely they brute
> forced something?.. Get a firewall, and something to look for brute force
> attacks.

Agreed; packet-sniffing would most probably have to have been an inside job,
as packets not meant to leave your network don't -- *unless* you've got a
wireless network, in which case they go everywhere the radio waves will take
them.  Your wireless AP ought to have its own iptables  (yes, iptables:  most
of them run Linux)  rules that you can configure through its web page, so as
not to let anything telephonical go over wi-fi.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.