[asterisk-users] SRTP Error Message

Terry Wilson twilson at digium.com
Sat Feb 26 14:29:09 CST 2011

> Apologies in advance if this has come up a thousand times before but is there any way to stop this error in 1.8 ?
> [ Feb 26 15:09:09] ERROR[6678] chan_sip.c: No SRTP module loaded, can't setup SRTP session.

Sounds like your hone is sending an SRTP offer, but you don't have res_srtp loaded. This could be because you are limiting which modules you have loaded in modules.conf, or more likely because you have not compiled Asterisk with SRTP support. To do this, you will need to install libsrtp development libraries and re-run configure and 'make menuselect'.

If you are running 64-bit, be aware that some packaged versions of libsrtp are compiled without the -fPIC flag and will fail. If that is the case, you will need to download and compile libsrtp manually passing in the -fPIC option. You do this by configuring libsrtp with "./configure CFLAGS=-fPIC --prefix=/usr" for most setups. We try to detect this case in the configure script and provide the instructions there if it is necessary.