[asterisk-users] secret vs remotesecret on outgoing calls in Asterisk 1.6.2.16.1

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Wed Feb 23 16:53:46 CST 2011

On 11-02-23 10:31 AM, Jose P. Espinal wrote:
> -----
> Added a new configuration option "remotesecret" for authentication to
> remote services. For backwards compatibility, "secret" still has the
> same function as before, but now you can configure both a remote secret
> and a local secret for mutual authentication.
> -----
> I thought that 'remotesecret' is used to authenticate myself when placing a call
> to the remote network, as I used to do with 'secret' parameter.

I may be mistaken, because I don't use remotesecret, but I think the purpose of
that was to allow different authentication depending on the direction. My guess
is remotesecret is used to authenticate the "remote" end when a call is placed
into Asterisk, and secret is used when you're placing a call to the remote server.

Or it's possible the feature has a bug and an issue should probably be opened on
the issue tracker ;)

Leif.