[asterisk-users] T1 PRI shows yellow/red alarm

Dean Hoover kb7qdi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 12:44:52 CST 2011

We are running Asterisk version 1.4.23-1, libpri-1.4.9 and
zaptel-1.4.12.1 and two Digium TE220Ps.  Debugs are set to 10.

We have a T1 PRI connected to the telco.  Over the last 4-5 days, we
have getting Yellow/Red alarms coming from the T1 PRI.  The other two
ports in use are connected to internal test switches (Avaya
Legend/Avaya Definity), and are not showing any errors.

/var/log/asterisk/messages reports:
[Feb 21 12:21:56] NOTICE[4795] chan_dahdi.c: PRI got event: Alarm (4)
on Primary D-channel of span 2
[Feb 21 12:21:56] DEBUG[4795] chan_dahdi.c: Got event Alarm (4) on
D-channel for span 2

/var/log/syslog reports:
Feb 21 12:21:56 asterisk kernel: [509981.796536] wct2xxp: Setting
yellow alarm on span 2
Feb 21 12:21:56 asterisk kernel: [509981.796562] timing source auto card 0!
Feb 21 12:21:56 asterisk kernel: [509981.813535] timing source auto card 0!
Feb 21 12:22:01 asterisk kernel: [509986.813869] wct2xxp: Clearing
yellow alarm on span 2

Intensive PRI debugging does not show any errors prior to the alarm.

The other part to this is for a while it was pretty intermittent.  One
day we would get it 2 times, another 8-12 times.  Today, however, it
seems to be happening around every 11-13 minutes.  Before this
started, there were no errors for the 6 days prior.

The first response from the telco 4 days ago said that it was an issue
on their T3, then came back saying we were sending something to reset
the circuit, but I interpret "PRI got event" as meaning we received
something from them.

They put a COM tracer in our building, on that circuit, since Friday
afternoon.  They took it with them to examine the results this
morning, and are supposed to call me when they know something.

While they are doing that, I want to make sure that I have all the
information I need in order to diagnose it.  I haven't found a way to
trace the actual B8ZS/ESF frames, and was wondering if there was a way
for me to log those events.  It's not that I don't trust them, but by
the same token I haven't changed anything on my end, the other port on
the Digium card isn't reporting an issue, and a complete shutdown of
the Asterisk server didn't change the results.

Dean Hoover
Milwaukee, Wisconsin