[asterisk-users] Fax Woes

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Feb 15 03:20:41 CST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:00 PM, Mike Diehl <mdiehl at diehlnet.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to get outgoing fax working from an SPA2102 to a PSTN fax machine
> via a T.38 enabled trunk.  I've got
> t38pt_udptl = yes
> faxdetect=no
>
> in my sip.conf file.  The ATA has all of the T.38 options turned on, echo
> cancellation is off, as well as silence suppression off.  The only
> configured codec is u711.
>
> When the user tries to send a fax, it gets to the point where it issues a
> reInvite to start the T.38, then the called side receives a SIP 488 (Not
> Acceptable Here)
>
> Where should I start?  Any pointers would be most welcome.
> ________________________________
> Take care and have fun,
> Mike Diehl.
> --

Did you turn on sip debugging?

I bet you are sending a DID that your provider is not the RespOrg.

Some will not take outbound calls with a tollfree number.  I screws up
the billing when one toll free calls another, who pays for the
minutes?  So they block it out and if memory serves me correctly, you
would get the same message in Asterisk and the call would not go
through.

It is a shame because if you have toll free DIDs, you probably want
them to show up rather than a toll call.

I have seen this with XO, you have to plead your case and push alot of
minutes for them to break their rules.

If your issue is the same as what I had, you have to set the callerid
to a number that has been ported over to that provider.  It is too bad
because there are many legit reasons to send a number that does not
belong to you..

Call forwarding to your cell phone will not work, you will just see
the office calling, not the actual caller.

I have used it as a GUID, starting at 0000000001 and increment by one,
this was in a call center environment that had many people working in
Baltimore, MD, Pakistan. Bogotá, and the Philippines.

So a call would come in on a Spanish speaking DID, it would be sent to
Bogotá with the callerid  of whatever I sent.

At the end of the month, when it was time to settle with the remote
call centers, we had a way to really audit the bill rather than just
paying it.  The destination, GUID, CDRs all stored in a database.  We
also recorded using Orecx and and tied that into the same database and
had full integration with the home brewed CRM.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro