[asterisk-users] SIP Hardphone that works well with asterisk

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sun Feb 13 03:58:28 CST 2011

On Sat, 12 Feb 2011, ast guy wrote:

> Hi,
> I have been out of touch with asterisk for quit some time and needed some
> recommendations. I am looking for SIP hardphone that works well with
> asterisk server.

Of-course, there's always good old Grandstream... Read the archives for
lots of for's and againsts... I'm one of the 'for's' ...

Just deployed a small number of their new GXP2100's too. I think this is
their replacement for the GXP2000. They seem to be going for the "Sit up
and beg" type phone rather than the flat desktop of the GXP2000.

They're rather nice - a bit heavier than the GXP2000 and sound quality is
better too. Also cheaper with the same (and more) functionality. I've not
yet gotten my head round all their fancy XML screen setup stuff, but the
built in weather app. does seem to work when you put in he right town code
(from yahoo, apparently!)

But a lot of people got stung with Grandstream in their early days, so
it's buyer beware here. Personally I've gotten on really well with them
and they've been a boon for clients who've been on a really tight budgets
(I have a few charities, etc. on my books) I've also just re-cycled an
office worth of 20 of them which are now 3.5 years old, and they looked a
bit worn - the numbers seem to wear out on the buttons, but they were all
functional. (after a cleanup!)

Watch out for the PSUs though - I have had a higher than expected number
of failures there, but I suspect it was down to one batch of dodgyness.

Gordon