[asterisk-users] 1.6 and 1.8

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 09:14:00 CST 2011

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Danny Nicholas <danny at debsinc.com> wrote:
> Can somebody point me to an explanation from Kevin or Tzafir or someone else
> "up the food chain" explaining the differences/benefits of 1.6/1.8 vs
> 1.4/10.0?

What's the difference between a car released in 2006 versus a car
released in 2012? Very complex question. Aside from reading the
changelogs, like others have suggested, you should understand that
asterisk is developed in a very public way, with open access to
source, bugs, and the ability of lots of people to provide patches.

Some feature requests are very difficult to honor without a major
rewrite of various layers. And the intervening releases made something
substantially better (well, some people will disagree; if you don't
need any of the newer features, you might be able to ram more calls
through an older version) or added more flexibility or more features.
If you are running 1.4 and want a feature that comes built-in with
1.6, nobody is going to have any sympathy for you when you say you
wish 1.4 did X feature.

Basically, if you want to participate in the public ecosystem where
you can find something you want improved, or you come across a bug,
you need to be at the stage of development where code changes are
still happening.