[asterisk-users] 1.6 and 1.8

Ryan Wagoner rswagoner at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 07:29:58 CST 2011

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Bruce B <bruceb444 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been running 1.8.7 with a few fixes back ported from the 1.8.8
>> release candidate for the last 2.5 months. The system processes around
>> 4,000 calls per day over PRIs for 250 Polycom phones.
>>
>> Previously I was running 1.6.1.18 with a bunch of back ports for fixes
>> and features. Overall it was stable but every few months I had an issue
>> where a channel would get hung. When this happened core show channels would
>> crash the console and I would eventually have to restart Asterisk.
>>
>> Ryan
>>

> What od you mean by, "been running 1.8.7 with a few fixes back ported
> from the 1.8.8 release candidate". So, this is a version 1.8.7 release that
> you are using or a 1.8.8 or is this a mix of both that you come up with?
> Can you please be specific with fixes?
>
> Thanks

It was a mix I came up with as I was hitting a few bugs in 1.8.7 and 1.8.8
wasn't released. At this point I would just go for 1.8.8. The issue was
mainly 17541 which was filling my logs and basically made Asterisk unusable.

https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-17541
https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-18570
https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-18101

I had tested 1.8.4 before and was hit by a bunch of dtmf issues that were
fixed in 1.8.5. When 1.8.7 came out it looked fairly stable so I switched
from 1.6.1.18. I was running the 1.6.1 branch as I needed TCP SIP support.
Right now I have been testing 1.8.8 which looks to be a good release. The
1.8 series has come a long way in a few releases as far as fixing major
bugs.

Ryan