[asterisk-users] 1.6 and 1.8

Ryan Wagoner rswagoner at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 21:53:00 CST 2011

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 4:33 PM, Danny Nicholas <danny at debsinc.com> wrote:

> I understand the "end of life" issue.  What I fail to understand is that if
> 1.8 is the "Cadillac" of Asterisk, why did they make 10.0 and why does 1.8
> have so many bugs (just what I read here, not from my actual experience)?

Once released a version will only have bug and security fixes. New features
go into trunk to be included in the next version. Asterisk has long term
support releases like 1.4 and 1.8 and standard releases like 1.6 and 10.
This model is no different than other software like Ubuntu.

Even though a series only has bug and security fixes I have found
regressions occur between point releases. Just make sure to test thoroughly
before putting a system in production. I tend to stick with a version until
I need the features in a newer version or back porting a security fix
becomes overly involved.

I have been running 1.8.7 with a few fixes back ported from the 1.8.8
release candidate for the last 2.5 months. The system processes around
4,000 calls per day over PRIs for 250 Polycom phones.

Previously I was running 1.6.1.18 with a bunch of back ports for fixes and
features. Overall it was stable but every few months I had an issue where a
channel would get hung. When this happened core show channels would crash
the console and I would eventually have to restart Asterisk.

Ryan