[asterisk-users] 1.6 and 1.8

Jason Parker jparker at digium.com
Wed Dec 28 15:27:31 CST 2011

On 12/28/2011 03:10 PM, Danny Nicholas wrote:
> Can somebody point me to an explanation from Kevin or Tzafir or someone else
> "up the food chain" explaining the differences/benefits of 1.6/1.8 vs
> 1.4/10.0?

Every branch (1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6.0, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.8, 10) of Asterisk contains
new features that previous branches did not have.  Many of these changes are
documented in http://svnview.digium.com/svn/asterisk/branches/10/CHANGES

Each branch of Asterisk has a lifecycle, which is documented at
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Versions.  As you can see,
1.8 and 10 are the currently supported branches.  1.4 and 1.6.2 are in security
maintenance mode, which means that the only issues that will be fixed are
security issues.  They will both be EOL in April 2012, and will no longer
receive any updates.

Short version: If you aren't already using Asterisk 1.8 or higher, you really
should be - and soon.