[asterisk-users] how to listen on different sip port for a device?

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 15:15:28 CST 2011

On 12/26/2011 10:39 AM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> On 12/26/2011 08:55 AM, sean darcy wrote:
>> I'm trying to allow access to the office from home. But the ip provider
>> (cablevision) blocks udp 5060. I can see the register packets leaving on
>> wireshark, but nothing received by office. Changed to port to 6111 and
>> now the packets show up.
>>
>> In the server I've set port=6111 in the device in sip.conf, but * is NOT
>> listening for 6111:
>>
>> netstat -an | grep 5060
>> tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5060 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
>> udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:5060 0.0.0.0:*
>>
>> netstat -an | grep 6111
>> [root at PBX ~]#
>>
>> I can't see how to use bindaddr. I need * to also listen to 5060: that's
>> what our sip providers use.
>>
>> So how do I get * to listen to two different ports?
>
> The 'port' setting for a peer has nothing at all to do with where
> Asterisk would listen for traffic; it defines the port number Asterisk
> should *send* traffic to for a non-dynamic peer.
>
> You didn't mention which version of Asterisk you are using, so it's hard
> to give you concrete answers. All current versions of Asterisk can only
> listen on one port for SIP over UDP traffic, but the versions that
> support SIP over TCP can listen on a different port for TCP. If you are
> using a TCP-capable version of Asterisk and a TCP-capable endpoint, you
> can try that.

Thanks for the response. Home asterisk : 10.0.0  - Office: 1.8.8.0

So I thought I'd leave all the sip providers on udp, and move the
home-office to tcp.

And registration just work Just Worked over the default tcp registry
port - which I was surprised to learn was 5060, and not 5061.

So it appears cablevision only blocks udp 5060.

sean