[asterisk-users] Debugging call quality issues in Asterisk

Ishwar Sridharan ishwar at exotel.in
Mon Dec 26 10:27:34 CST 2011

Hola Asterisk Gurus,

We have a telephony server in India which runs CentOS release 5.7 (Final)
version with four-span Digium Card, one of which has two E1 PRI line
terminating on the server.

$ dahdi_hardware
pci:0000:07:08.0     wct4xxp+     d161:1420 Wildcard TE420 (5th Gen)

For the last couple of weeks on some calls, we've been experiencing call
quality issues, specifically on outbound calls. We haven't had any
complaints on inbound call quality, and I'm forced to conclude that the
issue exists only for outbound calls.

We haven't seen a pattern on call quality drops, except that it happens
during daytime, when the call volumes are good. A quick look at the system
stats(sar) do not report an increase in system activity coinciding with the
bad quality calls.

$ cat /proc/interrupts; sleep 10; cat /proc/interrupts
reports that there are 10k interrupts generated over a period of 10s. So, I
guess the issue is probably not with the resources. I might also be looking
at all the wrong parameters, being an asterisk/telephony n00b.

Would you folks give me pointers on the best way to figure out if the issue
is with the PRI line or with the server. Also, why does it happen
specifically for outbound calls? Greatly appreciate the help.

--
Thanks,
Ishwar.