[asterisk-users] Number of Calls

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Thu Dec 22 08:33:48 CST 2011

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>

> I am new in voip, how many calls can one asterisk box handle with 30 %
> of trans-coded calls and system configuration as
> 8GB RAM
> X3430 Xeon Processor, 2.4GHz, 8M Cache, Turbo

This is one of the 'harder' things to calculate. You'll at least want to start here for some ideas:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+dimensioning

In general however, you appear to have some beefy hardware. With a properly configured system (bare Linux, no GUI, some kernel sysctl tuning, etc), you should see fantastic performance on that box. Plus, with "turbo" you can always hit that little button[1] on the front of your server if you need a bit of a performance boost. :)

--Tim

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_button