[asterisk-users] India Telecom regulations

Raj Mathur ( राज माथुर ) raju at linux-delhi.org
Mon Dec 19 21:53:44 CST 2011

On Tuesday 20 Dec 2011, khalid touati wrote:
> Thank you Raj,
> so with VOIP license calls can go beyond our pbx to PSTN (india),
> right, if so this what i needed to know to call Indian cellphone
> from US (or  other countries)

If your objective is to originate calls in the US (using whatever
technology), route them over SIP and then terminate them to the PSTN in
India, then yes: your Indian presence would need a VoIP licence.
Similarly for the reverse: originate a call from Indian PSTN to your
local office here and route it using VoIP to any destination (whether
within India or abroad).  A licence is required in that case too.

In general, interconnection of two different entities by bridging Indian
PSTN with any other technology requires a licence.  If you're only doing
VoIP-VoIP, or PSTN-PSTN, or bridging an Indian VoIP call to PSTN outside
India then it's permitted in principle.  This is why, e.g., Skype is
permitted: it doesn't connect to the Indian PSTN at any stage.

Once again, IANAL and TINLA.  This is purely from my (mostly informed)
understanding of the current laws.

Regards,

-- Raj
--