[asterisk-users] Limit # of inbound calls on SIP trunk

Douglas Mortensen doug at impalanetworks.com
Mon Dec 19 18:44:01 CST 2011

Hello all,

I have a system with FreePBX, and as far as I can tell it does not provide a means to limit the number of simultaneous inbound calls on a SIP trunk. Therefore I suspect that I'll need to do some manual dialplan manipulation.

Essentially I will have 1 (or possibly 2) SIP trunk(s) configured with a total of 4 channels. Let's say that I only want to permit 2 concurrent inbound calls at any time. If any additional calls hit the asterisk box, I want to play them a busy signal & disconnect them. The idea is that I'd like to always have at least 2 channels available for outbound calling at all times.

What is the way that you'd recommend accomplishing this? Ultimately, I think that all that I need is a piece of logic in the dialplan when the call initially comes in to say:
Are there already 2 existing inbound calls on this SIP trunk? If so, go to context "too-many-calls-play-busy".
If not, proceed to normal handling.

Something like that. Any ideas?

Thanks,
-