[asterisk-users] ODBC problem - static realtime file not loading SOLVED (properly this time)

Brynjolfur Thorvardsson binni at itanet.nu
Sun Dec 18 05:56:49 CST 2011

Hi Warren

According to the book I'm using as well as the documentation on Asterisk 1.8 you should remove the musiconhold.conf file from /etc/asterisk if you want to read it from a database. From what you say it looks as if you can have both. Maybe not with the same classes?

You are right about the bug ticket. From what I can gather, the database is defined once for the ODBC driver for each connector (in /etc/odbc.ini). To connect Asterisk to ODBC you need to define a class in res_odbc.conf which points to the ODBC connector. After thinking about this I suppose that what is actually going on is this:

1)      In odbc.ini you define one or more ODBC connectors. Each connector has one database.

2)      In /etc/asterisk/res_odbc.conf you specify one or more ODBC Asterisk connectors, each pointing to an ODBC connector.

3)      In /etc/asterisk/extconfig.conf you put in a line that calls the ODBC driver, the Asterisk connector and optional database. So the syntax of a line should be:

<filename> => <driver>,<Asterisk connector >[,<table name>]

In my case, the database user and Asterisk connector were both named "asterisk", which confused me into thinking that the extconfig.conf file needed the username. That's not very logical, so I tried changing my Asterisk connector name to [asterisk-odbc] and the line in extconfig.conf to:
                             Musiconhold.conf = odbc,asterisk-odbc,asterisk_files

This works fine. In the book, all things are named "asterisk" - the database user, the database and the Asterisk connector. If I had done the same, everything would have worked fine for me. But since I am working on an RoR-based management interface (just for fun ...) I needed a database with the _development extension, and from there everything went wrong.

Anyway i've sent in a bug ticket as you suggested, this may of course be something that has changed since version 1.14 , and anyway, the "bug" is really in the documentation in the Asterisk Wiki and not in Asterisk as such.

Regards

Binni