[asterisk-users] Digium TE205P leds flash red on startup

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 15 12:47:54 CST 2011

--- On Thu, 12/15/11, A J Stiles <asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk> wrote:

> > I have a new Digium TE205P 2-span E1 card I just
> installed on a server.
> >
> > As soon as I boot the machine, the card's leds flash
> red (ports 1 and 2) -
> > even when in the BIOS.
> >
> > That's not good, right?
>
> No, it's normal behaviour until the card's firmware has
> been loaded.  Which
> can't happen until the kernel is booted; and probably will
> not happen until
> the Zaptel or DAHDI startup script runs.

Well, strange enough, the server used to have a single-span PRI card, booted with kernel 2.6.23 and autoloaded the appropriate zaptel 1.4.12.1 module (wcte12xp).

Now I replaced the single-span card with the dual-span TE205 and rebooted.
The kernel does not autoload the new zaptel module which should be wct4xxp.
So I try to load it manually (modprobe -a wct4xxp) and lsmod lists it but there's nothing in /proc/zaptel/.

I suppose the 1205 identifier is correct for the TE205 card, as seen after issuing lspci:

05:01.0 Communication controller: Digium, Inc. Unknown device 1205 (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Unknown device 0005:0000
        Memory at feaefc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128]

I left my zaptel.conf and zapata.conf files untouched as, theoretically, they should work just fine, at least for the first PRI port on the card (everything else is identical).

So zaptel.conf has something like this:

span=1,1,0,ccs,hdb3,crc4
bchan=1-15
dchan=16
bchan=17-31

and zapata.conf:

switchtype = euroisdn
signalling = pri_cpe
group = 1
channel => 1-15
channel => 17-31

However, if I run ztcfg I get this message:

ZT_SPANCONFIG failed on span 1: No such device or address (6)

The fact that there's nothing in /proc/zaptel/ makes me think that the zaptel kernel module isn't working.

Is the 1205 card compatible with zaptel 1.4.12.1? (I can't migrate to DAHDI on this system - at least not yet)

Thanks,

Vieri