[asterisk-users] A few (simple?) questions

Brynjolfur Thorvardsson binni at itanet.nu
Wed Dec 14 03:18:00 CST 2011

Hi all

I've been saddled with recreating a running Asterisk PBX setup (with Ruby on Rails). Due to some wrangling between my client and the original developers I am not able to talk to the developers themselves but have been given full SSH access to their servers!

My questions are regarding their setup - they have functionality split over several servers as follows (all running CentOS):

Server1             MySQL
Server2             Ruby on Rails + CSTele
Server3             Asterisk 1.4.19 + STUN #1
Server4             Trunk (Asterisk 1.4.19) + STUN #2
Server5             Apache ActiveMQ

The system offers PBX services to  ~10 small firms and connects via a SIP trunk to a Telecoms company.

My questions are as follows:

-          STUN server - is it necessary (given that there are many free STUN servers on the Internet), and why two?

-          Why have a separate Asterisk server for the trunk?

-          Is the Apache Message Queue server necessary?

-          My info says that server 2 is running CSTele but I have been unable to find a process or program that matches this (except for a comment in a daemon, ast_ami_events.rb, running on Rails server). Can anybody tell me what CSTele might be?

Many thanks

Binni

ITAnet
Kirkestien 20