[asterisk-users] What version to upgrade to...?

Jason Parker jparker at digium.com
Mon Dec 12 09:51:54 CST 2011

On 12/12/2011 09:26 AM, Danny Nicholas wrote:
> I'm wondering if the bind 161 as root statement is a mis-statement or
> if not, maybe somebody like Tzafir can explain why since none of the
> other Asterisk binds require root access (this message is still in
> 10.0-rc3).

This is accurate.  Non-root users cannot bind ports <=1024.  There are
ways around it, however.

See setcap/CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE at
http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man7/capabilities.7.html

I haven't looked at the Asterisk code, but there may be changes
necessary to disable that check, if this is enabled.