[asterisk-users] Multiple route failover zaps registration

James Sharp james at fivecats.org
Sun Dec 11 20:22:42 CST 2011

On 12/11/2011 07:22 PM, Mike Diehl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a customer who is bringing up a second Internet connection for fail-
> over.  I've configured a WRT54 with 2 LAN ports and arranged for it to fail
> over when one of the routes is no longer available.  That works just fine at
> the IP level.
>
> However, when the router fails over, the phones lose their registration,
> presumably because their IP address has changed from Asterisk's point of view.
>
> The phones happen to be Polycom 335's, and I'm running Asterisk 1.6.2.9.
>
> What is the best way to manage this situation so that the phones don't become
> unavailable during failover?
>
> I'm considering using the Tinc VPN solution to prevent the IP address from
> chaing, but I'm hoping for a more simple solution.
>
> Any ideas?

Shorten the registration expiration time on the phones?  It'll make them
a bit chattier, but it'll make sure Asterisk has the most recent IP address.

Shorten it down to as long as you feel the phones can be without
service, but also make sure you don't make them too chatty so they're
reregistering every second.