[asterisk-users] Issues with dahdi show status output (and check IRQs)

giovanni.v iax at keybits.org
Sat Dec 10 04:44:22 CST 2011

Il 10/12/2011 8.03, Olivier ha scritto:
>> Yes, assuming no hardware/configuration problems this shouldn't happen
>> >  on PTP.

> Can you explain why taking down layer 1 on idling spans happens on
> PtmP and can't happen on PTP ?

Where possible worse than my English: "ne devrait pas arriver",
"généralement pas utilisés".
Ok, i'd like to be sure my statement above will never misunderstood. I
wanted to say that L1 deactivation in PTP provisioning is not commonly used.
However, nothing prevents the telco to do so because (ETSI*)
specifications allow it. The ETSI L1 specification says that "The choice
to eventually deactivate is up to higher layers at the network side."
without any distinction between PTP or PTMP.

I believe that the L1 deactivation in PTP is not commonly used for the
sake of convenience:
- PTP lines are usually provisioned for a pbx using a basic NT (no a/b
ports, less power). A pbx doesn't drain power from the network so there
is little to save.
- PTP lines are also provisioned to share a single number or DDI spans
to multiple BRI. The result of permanent L1 and a fixed TEI is a faster
response from the user side, that is convenient on the network side to
find and allocate a resource on incoming calls.

* ETS 300 012-1: http://tinyurl.com/bwycqcz