[asterisk-users] ISDN PRI configuration

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 16:51:11 CST 2011

--- On Wed, 12/7/11, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:

> Vieri: You aren't even far enough along to worry about
> D-channel assignments or anything like that. Your span is in
> RED alarm; that means it can't see the far end at all. Until
> you get that cured (layer 1 - physical layer) nothing above
> it is going to work.
>
> Since they mentioned HDB3 and CRC4, you most definitely
> have an E1 span, and you will need to specify 'CCS' as well
> because you are using ISDN signaling. If the line
> coding/framing settings are wrong that *could* result in a
> RED alarm, but doesn't always.
>
> So, you need to start by getting the span to come out of
> RED alarm (to go 'green'). This could be a cabling problem,
> a hardware problem, or it could something as simple as the
> fact that the telco hasn't actually 'turned up' the span
> yet, because they don't usually do that until you have your
> equipment plugged in and you call them to tell them that you
> are ready for the span to be turned up.

They "should" have turned it up, or at least that's what one of the tech guys told me.
But I guess I'll have to check with them again.

The cable should be ok (standard ethernet cable) but I didn't actually install it myself (I'm in a remote location) so I'll have to check that too.

Big thanks for the explanation!

Vieri