[asterisk-users] google voice calling dial plan question.

white hat whitehat238 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 23:59:51 CST 2011

When a caller calls my google voice phone number, I must answer, wait and
press one to accept.  Sometimes even that does not work.

I have tried a few different things to get asterisk to place the call in an
answered state and send the DTMF 1 with the Dial macro.

I found Malcom Davenports wiki page regarding Google calling which has been
very helpful in troubleshooting the issue.
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Calling+using+Google?focusedCommentId=18415969#comment-18415969

I'm sure that I'm close to getting things working properly.

Here's my config.

##jabber.conf##

[general]
debug=no
autoprune=no
autoregister=yes

[whitehat238]
type=client
serverhost=talk.google.com
username=whitehat238 at gmail.com/Talk
secret=password
port=5222
usetls=yes
usesasl=yes
status=Available
statusmessage="No Information Available"
timeout=100
keepalive=yes

##gtalk.conf##

[general]
allowguest=yes
context=googlein
stunaddr=stun01.sipphone.com

[guest]
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
connection=whitehat238
context=googlein

##extensions_custom.conf##

exten => whitehat238 at gmail.com
,1,Set(CALLERID(name)=${CUT(CALLERID(name),@,1)})
exten => whitehat238 at gmail.com,n,GotoIf($["${CALLERID(name):0:2}" !=
"+1"]?notrim)
exten => whitehat238 at gmail.com,n,Set(CALLERID(name)=${CALLERID(name):2})
exten => whitehat238 at gmail.com
,n(notrim),Set(CALLERID(number)=${CALLERID(name)})
exten => whitehat238 at gmail.com,n,Answer
exten => whitehat238 at gmail.com,n,Wait(1)
exten => whitehat238 at gmail.com,n,SendDTMF(1)
exten => whitehat238 at gmail.com,n,Goto(from-trunk,5025551212,1)

[gvoice-whitehat238]
exten => _X.,1,Dial(Gtalk/whitehat238/+${EXTEN}@voice.google.com)
exten => _X.,n,Noop(GVoice Call to ${EXTEN} failed)
exten => h,1,Macro(hangupcall,)

I have a working inbound route which rings an internal extension (7008)
when calling the GV number.  I can also make outbound calls to any number
using the GV trunk.

I found this page (Link to Michigan telephone blog) which helped me get
everything setup initially and included a shell script that made it easy to
generate the configuration.
http://michigantelephone.wordpress.com/2011/01/20/a-bash-script-to-assist-asterisk-1-8freepbx-2-8-users-in-adding-new-google-voice-accounts/

The author explains the config in more detail and why he choose to write it
the way he did.

I have tried using the alternative method of sending the DTMF 1 tone by
changing the last block as follows:

[gvoice-whitehat238]
exten => _X.,1,Dial(Gtalk/whitehat238/+${EXTEN}@voice.google.com,D(:1))
exten => _X.,n,Noop(GVoice Call to ${EXTEN} failed)
exten => h,1,Macro(hangupcall,)

However, that did not work.

I just need a little advice on how to write the dial plan.  I still have
much to learn about asterisk, and appreciate any advice.

Thanks,