[asterisk-users] How can I decipher password in SIP Packet?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Dec 2 17:34:23 CST 2011

On 12/02/2011 05:24 PM, asterisk jobs wrote:
> I am receiving requests to register to my Asterisk extensions. I have
> the full SIP packets. I also do see what extension is being tried to be
> registered. Is there ANY WAY to know what password is being attempted?
>
> I think the appropriate term would be decode the base64 response I get
> from the client. Here is what I get in the SIP packet from the client:
> *
> *
> *Authorization: Digest username="4456678", realm="asterisk",
> nonce="67461340", uri="sip:mailbox",
> response="5a9a5f2b527ca9687c8f75705e6a2d25", algorithm=MD5*
>
> Using a base64 decoder I get this:**å¯Zåý›çnÜkÞ¼íÏ ïžôåîšÙݹ from the
> "response" above. Of course, that is not the plain password. So, is that
> encrypted? How can I can I decrypt it?

As the Authorization header clearly states, this value is created using
an MD5 Digest (hash). Since it is a digest function, it is not
reversible. It is impossible to recover the password that was used
during the calculation of the response value (although given enough time
and CPU resources, it is possible go through a massive list of
possibilities and try each one until you find one that matches).

--
Kevin P. Fleming