[asterisk-users] Dragging the dialup customers along, possible?

Aaron Krohn akrohn at ewebforce.net
Mon Aug 29 13:56:27 CDT 2011

We have an Ascend Max router that has a PRI plugged into it, providing
our current dialup users with web access. The PRI is no longer cost
effective, so I've been tasked with converting it to something cheaper.

We added a DID to our (existing) asterisk system (we have a couple dozen
voip customers). We added an Adtran 908 to convert the VoIP signal into
a virtual PRI for our MAX router to handle dialup calls.

When dialing into the number with a modem, MAX sees the call, picks up
and apparently tries to negotiate it, but eventually disconnects. It
HAS, however, twice, successfully connected the call for a short time,
but no browsing was possible. I've done some debugging output on the
Adtran which seems to indicate that an RTP BYE command is received:
TM.T01 01 SipTM_Connected      rcvd SIP call-leg request: BYE ... This
is the first difference between a debug output where the call connected
and one that does not work. This is the one that doesn't work.

TL;DR - Is it possible to do dial-up through Asterisk? Or is it like t38
faxing that is 'possible' to get working, but not if you have other job
responsibilities?

Thanks!

--
Aaron Krohn
Web Force Systems

Business Office:
131 Dillmont Drive, Suite 201
Columbus, OH 43235
Direct:  614-384-0019    Fax:  614-785-0871
Tech Support / Help Desk Direct:  614-384-0020