[asterisk-users] Good, inexpensive wireless VOIP handsets ?

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at sunfone.com
Fri Aug 26 14:55:31 CDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 13:18 -0600, linux guy wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Ian Pilcher <arequipeno at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>         On 08/26/2011 01:02 PM, linux guy wrote:
>         > I'm looking for 4 to 6 good, inexpensive VOIP handsets for
>         my home
>         > asterisk system.
>

>         I don't have any experience with them, but the Siemens Gigaset
>         A580 IP
>         seems to be about the best price point:
>
>          http://www.voipsupply.com/siemens-gigaset-a580-ip
>

> Will those handsets talk directly to the SIP server ?  Ie, can one
> throw away the "base station" ?
>
> --

Not the base station - you throw away the ATA.  But yes, that is the
idea.  I have to admit that price point is starting to look more
attractive.

At least for my house phone my family expects to be able to pick up any
handset in the house and be "in conference" with whatever conversation
is going on, and I have solved that.

I understand the benefits of a SIP client on a wifi / 3G+ phone, but
when I have tried that in the past a few things have gotten in the way:

* battery life on smartphones basically sucks !@#$@, and I find my
smartphone is plugged into its charger more often than it is "in my
pocket", so I like the idea of handsets being littered around the house
* voice and call quality - at least the last time I tried this
(admittedly over a year ago) - was really lacking and inconsistent, and
if on the road handoff usually breaks the call between towers
* too complex for the wife ;)