[asterisk-users] Looking for ideas for nice **Asterisk** home phone system

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at sunfone.com
Fri Aug 26 13:26:12 CDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-26 at 12:10 -0600, linux guy wrote:
> I was thinking of using a PAP2T-NA for the ATA to handle the fax.  It
> appears to have a large number of fax specific settings.  Can anyone
> comment on using this device with a fax ?

If you are using POTs to bring in your fax calls you should be ok for
home use.  I do this with a PAP2T-NA, Hylafax, and iaxmodem.  I have
iaxmodem accept the fax, then "relay" it to the PAP2T.  I use the second
port to drive a Panasonic DECT base station with five satellites, which
I have spread around the house.  The Panasonic is the only one I have
found that has the ability to host a ton of satellites without having a
ton of redundant features on the base station (don't really need an
answering machine, for example).  Its also the only one where the
handsets have nice 2.5mm headset jacks, which I use all day.

I've never really understood the need for wireless SIP handsets.  An ATA
plus a normal DECT set seems perfect to me.