[asterisk-users] Looking for ideas for nice **Asterisk** home phone system

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Aug 25 04:16:25 CDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 4:36 AM, Skyler <skchopperguy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 00:39 -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
>
> > For fax, I use Hylafax and for text, I use Kannel.  These are WAY more
> > powerful than Asterisk apps.  With Kannel, I used the Bluetooth GSM
> > modem to send SMS from my cell.  Kannel is awesome as is HylaFAX
> >
> > I used the Asteirsk System() app to call lynx with a special URL.  The
> > URL contains all the authentication, recipient, and SMS body.  Calling
> > that URL via System(), as I said, I like lynx, causes an SMS to be
> > sent.  Kannel is extremely customizable.  I once had ten cell phones
> > for for SMS modems.  My findings with t-mobile were that each phone
> > could send an SMS once a second.  With ten, using chan_bluetooth, I
> > could send ten SMS per second using ten phones.  Kannel is very well
> > developed.  Chan_mobile is incredible.
> >
> > The same is true with HylaFAX.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Steve T
>
>  I'm looking at using Kannel for a project here. Would you mind if I
> contacted you off list with some getting started questions?
>
> Skyler

Skyler,

I would be glad to help within reason.  Since it is not Asterisk and I use
app System() and Lynx as the glue, it wouldn't fit asterisk user's list
anyways.  I use fast AGI for most of the SMS variables.

Helping within reason is good for my karma, too much and I need to be
compensated.  At the very least, thanked publically ;

Like the old Italian saying, "I give my friends just enough so that they
need me, but not too much so that they dont"

I have quite a bit of experience with Kannel and the code.

Hit me up and let's see what help I can provide.

Thanks,
Steve T