[asterisk-users] SIP client on a mobile?

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Thu Aug 25 03:46:39 CDT 2011

Steve Totaro wrote:

>> Steve, even if I could get SIP clients for our phones, doesn't this
>> mean using a data connection rather than just voice?  That would make
>> it a lot pricier than the current setup with DISA (which is largely
>> free).
>>

>> /Per Jessen, Zürich
>>

> A Wifi connection?  I guess that wifi is not like it is here.  I can
> get on highspeed wifi anywhere I go in the DC Metro area for free.

In the cities, WiFi is typically only available in restaurants and cafes
(Starbucks, McDonalds etc).  In the country, no wifi.  Well, the odd
open access point, but using it is illegal, so that's a no-go.

> I would suspect that most road warriors have high speed data needs?
> Not sure what business you are in, but having fast internet
> (relatively speaking) is a must to do work.  I am not saying to use
> the data supplied from phone, if that is what you are thinking.

For my company, the mobile is primarily for voice - people don't spend
that much time on the road, but when they do, they still want to appear
as if they're in the office.

> If your phones don't have SIP, then use callback.  You call your
> company, go through whatever you seutp in the dialplan, and the phone
> system calls you back as well as calling the other party.
>
> You edited out much of the context of the conversation to support your
> side.  I don't play games like that...

Sorry, that wasn't my intention, I just snip out the bits that aren't
relevant to a reply.

> SIP client on the phone was an option.  Was the original question
> about using DISA to save money?  Yes it was.  Now you are stating that
> it is largely free.

I think the OPs question was about saving money, to which I suggested
using DISA - it my setup it's largely free.

> Callback is a great solution when outbound cell phone calls quite a
> bit more than your cutrate VoIP provider.  As I said, many countries
> do not charge for inbound calls.

Right.

> I am still clueless what your point is/was but if it is almost free
> then, stick with it.  Still clueless why you posted if it almost free.

I did not post the original question, I just responded to it.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

--
http://www.spamchek.com/ - your spam is our business.