[asterisk-users] SIP client on a mobile?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Thu Aug 25 02:06:43 CDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 2:27 AM, Per Jessen <per at computer.org> wrote:

> Steve Totaro wrote:
>
> > Just use a SIP client on your phone.  Many providers have multiple
> > failover paths for inbound calls.
> >
> > This thread morphed from a nice home phone system into something
> > completely different.
>
> Yup.

> >> Using DISA also means getting a corp caller id, not a mobile.
> >
> > Yes, spoofing provides that.

> >> How is that done from a mobile?  Sofar that has been my main reason
> >> for using DISA - cost is not a real issue.
> >
> > SIP client.  Spoof card, yes it is DISA, but you don't have to do
> > anything but use the card.
>
> Steve, even if I could get SIP clients for our phones, doesn't this mean
> using a data connection rather than just voice?  That would make it a
> lot pricier than the current setup with DISA (which is largely free).
>

> /Per Jessen, Zürich

A Wifi connection?  I guess that wifi is not like it is here.  I can get on
highspeed wifi anywhere I go in the DC Metro area for free.  Just driving
around, there is always an open access point.  When driving around, I pick
up thousands of APs in a couple miles and don't have any protection at all.

I would suspect that most road warriors have high speed data needs?  Not
sure what business you are in, but having fast internet (relatively
speaking) is a must to do work.  I am not saying to use the data supplied
from phone, if that is what you are thinking.

If your phones don't have SIP, then use callback.  You call your company, go
through whatever you seutp in the dialplan, and the phone system calls you
back as well as calling the other party.

You edited out much of the context of the conversation to support your
side.  I don't play games like that...

SIP client on the phone was an option.  Was the original question about
using DISA to save money?  Yes it was.  Now you are stating that it is
largely free.

Callback is a great solution when outbound cell phone calls quite a bit more
than your cutrate VoIP provider.  As I said, many countries do not charge
for inbound calls.

I am still clueless what your point is/was but if it is almost free then,
stick with it.  Still clueless why you posted if it almost free.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro