[asterisk-users] Looking for ideas for nice **Asterisk** home phone system

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Wed Aug 24 22:39:17 CDT 2011

The original title and subsequent questions were a clear sign to stay away
from a pointless thread.

Going one direction and then completely changing deserves a new thread.

I learned a long time ago not to answer questions from people that have put
in zero effort but fell for it, and fell for a really bad set up of
questions.

Thread subject, "Looking for ideas for nice **Asterisk** home phone system"

Actual subject?!?!

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 3:15 AM, Per Jessen <per at computer.org> wrote:

> Steve Totaro wrote:

> >> Yep, look up DISA:
> >>
> >> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+cmd+DISA
> >>

> >> /Per Jessen, Zürich
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > Just curious how DISA would help with cell phone usage charges.
>
> Assuming multiple mobiles (e.g. household or office), a typical setup
> around here (Switzerland) is that you can call freely within a group of
> numbers, often including one or two fixnet numbers.
>
> > But at least here, if you are on a per minute plan, how would DISA
>
> Where is "here"?

Not relevant but currently in the U.S. for now.  Per minute plan was the
relevant bit.

> > help? Obviously, different countries and carriers do things
> > differently, but I don't pay for anything extra, no roaming, nothing.
>
> Did you mean to say you don't pay for roaming either??  Wow.  I could do
> with a subscription like that.  (here roaming means using your phone in
> another country).

Oh, yes, I meant roaming between carriers or off-net in the States.  I have
over a dozen or more SIMs from various countries/carriers, inbound is free
in quite a few of the countries, or at least providers I have SIMs for.

Just use a SIP client on your phone.  Many providers have multiple failover
paths for inbound calls.

This thread morphed from a nice home phone system into something completely
different.

Probably should never have fallen for such wide open and sill question.

> > For my situation, DISA is pointless except for road warriors who call
> > all over the world, from anywhere, they can call into the corp system,
> > get dialtone and skip the whole process of expense reports for work
> > related calls.  It makes things less complex, not more.
>
> Using DISA also means getting a corp caller id, not a mobile.

Yes, spoofing provides that.

> > Maybe if you explain your situation and how your plan works, but for
> > me, personally, DISA would be a an added cost and complication.
> >
> > The only purpose I can think of for myself could be accomplished by
> > spoofing caller id.
>
> How is that done from a mobile?  Sofar that has been my main reason for
> using DISA - cost is not a real issue.

SIP client.  Spoof card, yes it is DISA, but you don't have to do anything
but use the card.