[asterisk-users] Where to proceed next

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sat Aug 13 06:54:04 CDT 2011

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, Adam Moffett wrote:

>> Hello list,
>>
>>                   I presently use the 1.4 releases because I enjoy sleeping
>> at night.  I understand that 1.4 reaches end-of-life in a little over 8
>> months (https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Versions).  I
>> also know (as best as I can) that no genie is going to make Asterisk 1.4 go
>> "poof" on this date.  My clients would probably sleep better thinking they
>> were running a PBX that didn't have this "drop dead" date however.   Since
>> 1.6.X has the same time constraints as 1.4, it seems it would be a waste of
>> time going that direction.  Should I go down the 1.8 .X path to have 4
>> years of time, but the headaches that have been documented here, or pursue
>> the 10.X which is presently considered Beta? (is it really beta,  or just
>> relabeled 1.8?).

> Does anybody ever update the software on the Panasonic phone system they had
> installed 30 years ago?  Maybe if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Quite.

I have dozens of systems out there approaching 5 years old now running
asterisk 1.2 and I have absolutely no plans to upgrade them to anything.
In some cases I no-longer have access anyway, but I know they're still
ticking away.

My wory is hardware longevity more than anything else - these are PCs,
although carefully chosen PCs with no moving parts. My "reference" systems
are now 8 years old and still running (not originally bought for PBXs but
for routers) so that gives me hope. (They're EPIA/VIA motherboards FWIW)

Gordon