[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.8 Install Problem

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 08:07:06 CDT 2011

On Wednesday 10 Aug 2011, A.H. Jos wrote:
> Hi list,
> I have a problem with installing Asterisk (under
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Packages):
>
> sudo apt-get install asterisk-1.8
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Note, selecting 'asterisk' instead of 'asterisk-1.8'
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  asterisk : Depends: asterisk-core-sounds-en-gsm (>= 1.4.21) but it is not
> going to be installed
> E: Broken packages

What distribution are you using?  From the messages, it looks as though it
could be Debian Sid or Wheezy, or possibly Ubuntu.  You could try
$ sudo apt-get install asterisk-core-sounds-en-gsm
and see if that helps.

What you might well have going on is a repository conflict, where apt wants to
install incompatible packages from different repositories.

I've personally never bothered with pre-compiled Asterisk packages.  Just
apt-get purge it  (so that apt won't interfere with your installation in
future),  and build the latest version from the Source Code.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.