[asterisk-users] display name

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 06:27:11 CDT 2011

On Friday 05 Aug 2011, salaheddine elharit wrote:
> My question if there is any way to display a name to the customer when i
> call from my Number using asterisk 1.4
>
> Exp: I call from my number 0520XXXX and I want when the customer recive I
> call from 0520XXXX he sees in his phone a name “test”

You can *try*
Set(CALLERID(name))=Test
as a dialplan step, before the Dial() statement obviously.

Whether or not it will have any effect in practice depends entirely on
equipment downstream of you, and over which you have no control.  Firstly,
your telco almost certainly will not let you use any ident you're not
entitled to  (otherwise it would be too easy to generate fake caller-IDs);
and secondly, the receiving subscriber's apparatus may only be capable of
displaying numbers, not names.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.