[asterisk-users] Answering machine answers after pickup a phone.

Jorge Barreiro yortx.barry at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 14:39:13 CDT 2011

Hello,

I'm configuring an Asterisk PBX to use as an answering machine. I have a FXO
card connected to the line, and other analog telephones connected to the same
line. The PBX answers and redirects you to the voicemail after a delay.

The problem is that even if I pickup any analog phone in the line before the
PBX does, it answers after the delay anyway. And I couldn't find how to prevent
this, or even if this is supposed to happen.

My FXO card is a cheap X100P (source of problems, I know), and I'm using the
Asterisk version included in Debian Squeeze (1.6.2.9).
My dial plan looks like this:

[incoming]
exten => s,1,Wait(8)
exten => s,2,Answer
exten => s,3,BackGround(wellcome-message)
exten => s,4,Voicemail(1234)
exten => #,1,Hangup

I don't know if this is related, but I'm in Spain and I had to add:
hanguponpolarityswitch=yes
to the chan_dahdi.conf file so that asterisk detects the remote hangup.
I also added:
answeronpolarityswitch=yes
but this didn't help. It seems to be used just to detect the answer when you
are calling, not when receiving a call.

I'd appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks!