[asterisk-users] pickupgroup

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at sunfone.com
Thu Aug 4 11:05:39 CDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 11:20 -0400, Dan Journo wrote:
> Hi,
> Using 1.4, I see that pickupgroup can only be between 1 and 63.
> We run a hosted PBX service and need to give our client access to the
> call pickup feature.
> I thought that I could simply use the client's ID number for the
> pickupgroup number.
> The client's ID number is generated by our CRM software and is unique
> for each client.
> That way, I can ensure clients can only pick up calls from extensions
> on their account.
> However, since pickupgroup can only be between 1 and 63, this causes a
> problem.
> I was wondering what people have done to get around this.
> Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

My take on this is that asterisk just isn't multi-tenant friendly.  I
have had outsanding success using LXC to separate asterisk instances on
a single server without over-utilizing resources, and the problems you
are having go away.  We offer FreePBX web interfaces to our customers
this way too, which you could never do otherwise.