[asterisk-users] SMS within asterisk users

Cobra 2 cobra2 at linuxbasement.com
Tue Aug 2 09:23:03 CDT 2011

I'm trying to setup SMS among users of a single asterisk box.

I've set up asterisk10-beta to send SMS messages using MessageSend(). If I
manually set the 'from' variable. I can two way messages only between those
two extensions.

i.e.
[sms]
exten => 12000,1,MessageSend(sip:12000,12001)
exten => 12001,1,MessageSend(sip:12001,12000)

This works fine, But limits the users to only be able to text each other
back and forth. When I add a third extension matters are complicated.
So I tried to set up something that was a little more flexible. I thought
that I would be able to use ${CALLERID(num)} for the 'from' variable.

[sms]
exten => _X.,1,MessageSend(${EXTEN},${CALLERID(num)})

However, the CALLERID(num) variable is an empty string.

Is there another way to identify the extension that originated the message?

--cobra2