[asterisk-users] ISAC and Asterisk

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Mon Aug 1 11:11:30 CDT 2011

On 08/01/2011 07:43 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>>> possible or
>>> WebRTC
>>>
>>> What do you need it for?
>>>
>> The possibility of having a web-based softphone without requiring any
>> plug-in is interesting. The adaptive nature of the ISAC codec could also
>> prove useful. I see lots of possibilities in the mobile device space.
>>
>> I guess the lack of responses gives me the answer anyway!
>
> The IETF Opus codec is nearing completion, and it is very likely that
> it will be incorporated into the WebRTC stack soon after that. Given
> that, there's not much reason to spend time working on ISAC.

A counter argument to that might be that Opus is fresh and new and
nobody knows what patent issues might come crawling into view. iSAC has
been around for a while. The source wasn't open until recently, but
licenced users have had it for a long time. There has been much more
opportunity for patent issues to show up.

Steve