[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Fri Apr 29 07:51:19 CDT 2011

On 11-04-29 02:59 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> 29 apr 2011 kl. 01.49 skrev Leif Madsen:
>
>> Well the issue is that we currently have over 900 open issues in the Asterisk
>> project alone, and with only one primary bug marshal (myself) sometimes things
>> accidentally get closed if it looks like a configuration issue.
>
> What's the reason that we only have one bug marshal? We used to ask people to become bug marshals to help,
> but the last I heard you and Russell did not want community marshals. What went wrong with that? Wasn't it any help?

Let me clarify, as it was not at all my intention to imply I was the *only* bug
marshal. Poor wording on my part.

There are certainly lots of people that help manage the bug tracker, and I'm
thankful for everyone who responds to issues, asking for the appropriate
information from reporters, and reviewing logs pointing out potential issues
which help developers. It's just I'm the main one handling work flow, making
sure the tracker doesn't get to the point it was when I started working on it
every day (the majority of issues were sitting in 'New' for many weeks).

Sorry if it was implied that I'm the only one working on the bug tracker,
because that is obviously not the case. I am grateful for any help people can
provide, and they are welcome to ask me what they can do to help. I don't
remember a discussion where I would persuade people from not helping :)

I've tried to make the process for moving issues forward as transparent as
possible. Just search Google with "site:lists.digium.com leif madsen bug
marshal" for a few posts about work flow. Additional information is here:
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Policies+and+Procedures

Information for reporters is here:
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Debugging

Thanks!