[asterisk-users] How to create distortion, echo, and chopping sound in a SIP trunk?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.co.uk
Thu Apr 28 10:57:26 CDT 2011

In article <BANLkTim8W+vjJJ87oYy1MVpPsfwfLUt0Kg at mail.gmail.com>,
Bruce B <bruceb444 at gmail.com> wrote:

> How can I introduce some distortion, echo, chopping sound and all other bad
> quality things that can happen to a SIP trunk? I have plenty of bandwidth
> and crisp clear lines so the only thing that I can think of is to limit
> bandwidth but even that requires quite some scripting work.
>
> Is there any easy way to simulate a distorted SIP line temporarily for
> testing?
>
> I am appreciate experienced inputs.

You could use iptables to cause random packet loss.

See http://code.nomad-labs.com/2010/03/11/simulating-dropped-packets-aka-crappy-internets-with-iptables/
for examples. You might want to precede those rules with ACCEPT rules
for the traffic you want to remain reliable (such as TCP connections).

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield