[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Bryant Zimmerman BryantZ at zktech.com
Thu Apr 28 08:22:22 CDT 2011

I will throw in my 2 cents on this. I agree that 1.8 is not as stable as it
needs to be. From my perspective I will continue to use the 1.4.x or
1.6.2.x release that is the best fit for me and it should continue to do
what it does and it get's it's security releases.

If the primary development focus is moved to 1.8 to get the lead out and
stabilize it than that is what I want. New work on 1.10 should only be
under taken after 1.8.x is stable then we can tinker with the newer stuff.
Making it stable makes it stronger. As far as I can see 1.4.x is stable and
that is what people want use it until 1.8.x is where you want it but test
1.8.x help find the bugs so you can make the move otherwise stay with the
solid 1.4.x and wait for others to find the bugs in the newer versions. I
know of several companies that are on 1.2 and will make the move to a new
version only if 1.2 fails them and it has not for their needs. Again we do
need 1.8 to be stabilized quickly the stuck voicemail issues and system
crashes are driving me crazy.

Thanks to all of the developers who work on asterisk. The core makes my
business possible. Keep up the good work

Thanks
Bryant