[asterisk-users] Discussion: Are we ready to leave 1.4 behind?

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Wed Apr 27 14:57:16 CDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
> Friends,
>
> SNIP
>
> Unfortunately, I think this is way too early. My feeling and
> experience is that 1.8 is not ready for production in the environments
> I work in - large scale installations. Customers are not planning
> migration and all new installs are still 1.4. Tests we've been doing
> with 1.8 has failed within just a short time and so badly that
> customers has not paid me to spend any further time with 1.8.
>
> SNIP

I've found the same issues. Asterisk 1.4.x is extremely stable and is running on all of our direct infrastructure as well as our customer owned infrastructure. Testing of the 1.8.x branch has shown quite a few problems and I'm definitely not putting it into production any time soon. It *IS* a good step forward, and I'm excited to see where it ends up, but I certainly don't find it to be a valid replacement for rock solid 1.4.x boxes right now.

I hope enough others echo simlar findings to allow a second look at a Digium maintained 1.4.x.

Unfortunately, we (personally, or company wise) cannot offer any development resources for a community maintained 1.4.x branch.

--Tim