[asterisk-users] Password to be ecrypted?

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Tue Apr 26 10:03:51 CDT 2011

On Tuesday 26 Apr 2011, bilal ghayyad wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> I am using Asterisk 1.8, how I can protect my self from hackers in case
> they was able to see my sip.conf file? I need the password to be encrypted,
> how?

Short answer:  You can't.  Asterisk itself needs to be able to read the stored
passwords.  The Source Code to Asterisk is readily available.  Therefore,
anyone who can read sip.conf, even if it is encrypted, will necessarily be
able to decrypt it.

Slightly more helpful answer:  Make sure that sip.conf can only be read by the
root user;
# chown root:root /etc/asterisk/sip.conf
# chmod 600 /etc/asterisk/sip.conf

This is about as safe as it gets.  If somebody manages to get root access to
your Asterisk box, then you're already shafted .....

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.