[asterisk-users] The new ConfBridge application is now in Asterisk Trunk!

David Vossel dvossel at digium.com
Mon Apr 25 10:04:44 CDT 2011

----- Original Message -----

We needed a next generation conferencing application that could handle dynamic sample rates.  Meetme's mixing required the use of Dahdi and was locked in at 8khz.  This prompted the discussion of creating a new conferencing application to remove the Dahdi dependency and handle internal mixing of all possible sample rates.  Since a re-write was necessary to achieve this, a new configuration method was designed that we believe is much more powerful than MeetMe's configuration method.  There is no talk of removing support for MeetMe right now. We know people depend on MeetMe, so rest assured it is not going anywhere any time soon.

> Does ConfBridge() scale to many users as nicely as MeetMe? I'm
> assuming the MeetMe ability to use a hardware source for timing will
> still be superior with large user counts in rooms?

Incorrect, ConfBridge scales better than MeetMe.  Not just a little better, but a lot better.  My none official internal tests showed ConfBridge to be capable of 2 to 3 times more concurrent users than MeetMe using the 'drop_silence' confbridge.conf option.

--
David Vossel
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer, Open Source Software